Oceania Ecosystem Services Forum 2019
Creating healthy communities and ecosystems for a resilient future
2 – 6 September 2019
Hosted by SCION, this 2nd Oceania Ecosystem Services Forum (OESF 2019) built on the success of the 1st in Brisbane, Australia in 2017, which raised the profile of the value of ecosystems in decision-making in the Oceania region. OESF 2019 was held at Rydges Latimer Hotel, Otautachi (Christchurch), Aotearoa New Zealand from 2 – 6 September 2019. OESF 2019 brought together policy-makers, businesses, community leaders and researchers with the aspiration of ‘Creating healthy communities and ecosystems for a resilient future’.
OESF 2019 objectives
- to connect communities, businesses, policy makers and researchers working on ecosystem services and resilient communities;
- to showcase diverse practices, policies and knowledge (practical, traditional, indigenous, academic) that contribute to increasing the health of communities and ecosystems;
- to discuss new and diverse approaches and actions that stakeholders use to address climate change, biodiversity and sustainability;
- to source opportunities for jointly designing and conducting research projects or applications of ecosystem services in practice;
- to provide a link between ecosystem services researchers, practitioners, decision makers and knowledge holders in the Oceania region, with the international ecosystem services community and programs (e.g. IPBES, IUCN, GEO, SDGs); and
- to support the implementation of ecosystem services science and practice at local, national and global levels.
OESF 2019 activities
- Plenaries: feature inspiring and up-coming leaders as keynote speakers and panel participants!
- Presentation Sessions: opportunities for high quality natural and social science researchers, practitioners and decision makers from all sectors to orally present their work.
- Pre-forum workshops: a setting for courses, training or stakeholders to discuss technical topics and engage in active exchanges of ideas and expertise. Organised by: Scion, ANU,USGS, GEO, AAG, esri, Massey University, MfE, Stats NZ, He Oranga mo Nga Uri Tuku Iho Trust, Manaaki Whenua & IUCN.
- Town Hall-Style Meetings: offer a sounding board for new collaborations and ideas, or opportunities to launch important products or projects.
- Side Events: provide an opportunity for member based organisations to hold meetings, or experts to hold discussions on high-level topics, led by IUCN CEM; USGS, GEO, AAG, esri; and WWF New Zealand, NIWA and University of Auckland.
- Field Trip: the full day field trip will be focused on the practical application of ecosystem services.
Marjan van den Belt talks about her personal take on ecosystems services:
If you have any questions please contact the OESF 2019 Organising Committee: firstname.lastname@example.org